JOURNAL ARTICLE

[QTL analysis for epistatic effects and QTL x environment interaction effects on final height of rice (Oryza sativa L.)]

G Q Cao, J Zhu, C X He, Y M Gao, P Wu
Yi Chuan Xue Bao, Acta Genetica Sinica 2001, 28 (2): 135-43
11233257
QTLs with epistatic effects and environmental interaction effects for final height of rice were studied by mixed-model based QTL mapping with a doubled haploid population from IR64/Azucena in four environments. The results demonstrated the importance of epistasis as a genetic basis of the quantitative traits and also revealed several important features of this phenomenon. In the results, 100 per cent of QTLs were involved in epistasis, of which 64 per cent were found with significant additive effects. This might mean that the usual estimates of the QTL additive effects could be confounded by epistatic interactions and result in biased estimation unless epistatic effect is separated. The other 36 per cent did not have any significant additive effects of their own but were involved in 48 per cent of the identified epistatic interactions. Such loci might play the role of modifying agents that tend to activate other loci or modify the action of other loci. The other features of epistasis include as follows: it was fairly common for the same locus to get involved in interactions with more than one locus; the QTLs with relatively high magnitude of effects might also be involved in epistasis; and epistasis was sensitive to environmental interactions for their expression. QTL x environment (QE) interaction effects were detected more often than QTL main effects for plant height behavior, as might indicate that gene expression could be greatly affected by environments.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
11233257
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"