JOURNAL ARTICLE
MULTICENTER STUDY

Posterior chamber phakic intraocular lens for hyperopia

D R Sanders, R G Martin, D C Brown, J Shepherd, M R Deitz, M DeLuca
Journal of Refractive Surgery 1999, 15 (3): 309-15
10367572

PURPOSE: A Phase I U.S. FDA clinical study of a plate haptic posterior chamber phakic intraocular lens (STAAR Surgical Implantable Contact Lens) for treatment of hyperopia was conducted at 4 sites in the United States. The purpose of this report is to assess the short-term safety and efficacy.

METHODS: Ten patients with hyperopia between +2.50 and +10.875 D were implanted in one eye each with the posterior chamber plate phakic intraocular lens and were examined at baseline and 1 day, 1 week, 1, 3, and 6 months after surgery. Mean baseline hyperopia was +6.63 D.

RESULTS: At 6 months postoperatively, 7 of 10 eyes (70%) had an uncorrected visual acuity of 20/20 or better and 10 of 10 (100%) had 20/40 or better. Eight of ten eyes (80%) had a spectacle-corrected visual acuity within 1 line of baseline; the other two eyes (20%) had an improvement of 3 lines. Mean 6-month postoperative spherical equivalent refraction was +0.20 +/- 0.61D (range, -0.50 to +1.50 D), a reduction of 6.025 D from baseline. Eight of 10 eyes (80%) were within +/-0.50 D of emmetropia, 9 eyes (90%) were within +/-1.00 D, and all eyes (100%) were within +/-1.50 D. No operative or postoperative complications or adverse reactions were observed.

CONCLUSIONS: Results support the short-term safety, efficacy, and predictability of the STAAR Surgical Implantable Contact Lens (plate haptic posterior chamber phakic intraocular lens) in the treatment of hyperopia.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
10367572
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"

We want to hear from doctors like you!

Take a second to answer a survey question.